If you’re visiting Perth for the first time and wondering how to plan your days, we’ve got you covered! This epic five day Perth itinerary will take you through all of the best attractions in and around the city, ensuring you don’t miss a single highlight. Perth is located on the coast of Australia’s south west and is WA’s capital city. I would recommend planning your trip to Perth during the summer, from Nov – Feb. As Perth see’s very little rainfall throughout these months and you’re pretty much guaranteed to have blue skies and sunshine. This is ideal for hitting the beach which is one of the best things to do in Perth. All prices stated in this blog are from May 2023.
If you’re spending five or more days in Perth, I would highly recommend hiring a car. This will give you much more flexibility and allow you to explore further afield as well as take day trips. Check prices and availability for car rentals Click Here. Getting around the city is easiest by purchasing a Hop on and off sight seeing bus ticket. The ticket lasts for 48 hours and includes unlimited access to the double decker bus that stops at all of the city’s top attractions. It also covers your entry to the Bell Tower which includes a guided tour and the chance to ring one of the bells yourself. The tickets are from $62 per person or without the Bell Tower entry tickets are from $45 per person. Click Here to find more information. If you don’t have a car I do recommend getting a car for the last 2 days of this Itinerary as getting around Perth Hills and Mandurah by transport could be a little bit trickier via Public transport.
Day 1- Perth city and Kings Park
You may not have time to see everything listed here, but ticking off a few of these highlights will make a great start to your time in Perth.
Perth’s must-see attractions In Perth CBD:
– Elizabeth Quay– Located right on the banks of the Swan River, Elizabeth Quay is home to many popular bars and restaurants.
– Bell Tower– A short walk from Elizabeth Quay will bring you to the Bell Tower, one of Perth’s most famous icons. From the top of the tower you’ll see a stunning panoramic view over the Swan River. Purchase your Ticket to the Bell Tower online before you go. Prices start from $18 per adult.
–Take a River Cruise down the Swan River– A round Trip Cruise from Perth to Fremantle starts from $55 and with lunch $96 per adult. Click Here from more information and booking.
-If you don’t get a chance to do a river cruise, a stroll or ride along the Swan River is also a great way to take in the scenery. The loop is 10km Click Here to view the map of the Swan River Loop.
A visit to Perth is not complete without spending some time in the one of the world’s largest inner city parks. Perched high on a hill, overlooking the city and Swan River. Getting to King’s Park is pretty easy as it’s conveniently located close to the city. Catch the 950 bus from the city center or walk for 25 minutes to reach the entrance of the park.
Here are some of the top things to see and do while visiting:
–Go For A walk– There is no shortage of walking trails around Kings Park. I highly recommend heading out on the Lotterywest Federation Walkway over the Glass Bridge and catch Click Here to view the trail map.
– Head up the DNA Tower– Climb up the spiral staircase for a beautiful panoramic view. It’s the highest view point in the park and it can be reached by walking about 15 minutes from the War Memorial.
– Walk around the Botanic Gardens.
Located in the middle of the Swan River, Its a beautiful spot to go for a peaceful nature walk practically in the middle of the city. If your lucky this is also where the local Kangaroo’s hang out. It’s very close to the city centre making it easy to reach. Simply hop on the 960 bus from the Perth Busport and get off at Victoria Park Transfer Stn, Heirisson Island is then only a short walk away.
Day 2- Fremantle and Omeo Wreck
On Day 2 head out to the beautiful port city of Fremantle. Only 30 minutes from Perth by train, this charming seaside city is rich in history and home to some of Western Australia’s oldest buildings.
Top Places to see in Fremantle:
– Fremantle Market is open 9am – 6pm Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The famous Fremantle Markets has been open every weekend for over 100 years. There are over 150 different stalls to explore at the market.
– Fremantle Prison– The only UNESCO listed building in WA happens to be located in Fremantle! Fremantle Prison dates back to the year 1850 when it was built as a maximum security prison to hold convicts from the UK. It was used continually until 1991. Learn the chilling tales of the events that took place at Fremantle Prison by taking a tour. Tours start from $22 for one or 2 prison tours from $32. Click Here for more information on the tours.
The Round House- Perched on a hill overlooking the Indian Ocean, this historic building is the oldest in the state. It was originally used as a prison in 1831. It is free/donation to enter.
Head to one of the breweries– There is Gage roads or Little creatures Brewery.
Take a Photo at the Containabow.
The wreck is located 10 minutes away from Fremantle. You can take the 548 bus from Fremantle to the wreck. The wreck is a great place to go for a snorkel and hand out at the beach for the afternoon. The ‘Omeo’ is lying just under water, only 25m from the shore of Coogee Beach. It came adrift from Fremantle port way back in 1905, getting bogged in the sand at Coogee. Over the years it has remained in that spot, gradually falling apart with only the sternpost and a section of the collapsed bow triangle protruding from the water.
Day 3-Rottnest Island
Hop on a 30 minute ferry ride from Perth and you’ll be transported to one of the most beautiful islands. You can either take a day trip or stay one night on the island. Although you can see the island in a day there is alot of places to see. You can either take your own electric scooter over or hire a bike for the day. There is also a hop on and off bus that takes you around the island. Click Here for more information
Top places to explore on the island:
– Meet the Quokkas– They are best seen at The Basin which is where the main area is on the island. They are most active at night.
-Visit one of the many beaches and go snorkeling.
– Wadjeump Lighthouse– The lighthouse is 38 meters high and gives you beautiful panoramic views over the island.
–Cycle to the West End– It’s an easy 10 kilometers on a flat bitumen road from Thomson Bay Settlement. The West End is the Westernmost Point on Rottnest island with a beautiful rugged coastline.
Day 4-Perth Hills
The Perth Hills is located 45 minutes east of the Perth City. You can Enjoy a relaxing picnic in the park, Go on a epic hike in the hills, swim in beautiful swimming holes or go Mountain Biking.
Top places to visit:
Mundaring Weir– The weir was completed in Completed in 1903, the Weir was the start of the water pipeline that pumped water to the Kalgoorlie goldfields, some 700 kilometres away. Its also heading up to the Golden View Lookout while in the area.
Lake Leschenaultia– Leschenaultia is a beautiful recreational lake nestled in the scenic bushland of Perth Hills.
Swan View Rail Trail- Is a 41km trail from Bellevue to Mount Helena and back past Mandarirng and Darlington.
Victoria Dam– To Access the dam from Monday to Friday the second gate is open and the walk is 1.6km to the dam return.
Visit a waterfall– Roley Pool, Lesmurdie Falls or Ellis Brook Falls.
For more information on places to Visit Click Here
Day 5- Day trip to Mandurah
Mandurah is WA’s largest regional city and less than an hour from Perth. It has some beautiful beaches and surf spots and is on an estuary twice the size of Sydney Harbor. Click Here for a more information and places to visit in Mandurah.
Top Places To visit:
– Head out on one of the walking or cycling trails– Hall’s Head Coastal path, Joseph and Dulcie Nannup Trail. Creery Wetlands Reserve, Samphire Cove reserve and Osprey Waters Foreshore.
– The Giants– There are 4 Giants in Mandurah 3 of them are located close to the Town and the secret Giant is located about 30 minutes drive. The Giant’s are out in Mandurah for 1 year from November 2022- November 2023.